Thank you to Sk:n Clinics for sponsoring the following conversation on how to avoid acne flare ups! *affiliate links*
- It’s important to remove the layers of makeup and sunscreen on your face before you cleanse. Use a cleansing balm, makeup remover wipe, micellar water…whatever you prefer. Once your makeup is removed, then use a face wash of your choice.
- Don’t pick at your face. This spreads germs and bacteria, and can even cause scarring.
- After each use, spray your makeup brushes with a brush cleanser. Sephora makes a great spot cleaner, but if you want to save a little money, try elf’s brush cleanser.
- Deep clean your makeup brushes, sponges and tools once a week. This is my favorite cleanser, but Dawn dish soap or Dr Bronner’s work well too.
- Oil is not your enemy! Even oily skin needs moisture. If you deprive your skin of moisture, it will go into overproduction mode and make more oil. Here’s a couple of options from Sephora; Kate Somerville Oil Free and Purely Nourishing Bare Minerals. You can also find great options at the drugstore; Neutrogena Hydro Boost and Oil Free Acne Moisturizer are just two of many affordable choices.
- Drink more water. This is an easy one. Even better? Drink more water with fresh lemon squeezed into it. The easiest natural detox you can do for your body!
- Reducing sugar and dairy may be something you could consider. For some, dairy is an acne trigger. Even if you aren’t allergic, you may be sensitive. As for sugar, it causes inflammation in your body, and that causes your body to release an enzyme that damages collagen and elastin.
- Are your hands clean every time you touch your cell phone? I know mine aren’t! Just like I won’t touch my face with dirty hands, I don’t want to put a bacteria covered cell phone near my face. I wipe mine down once a day with an alcohol wipe.
Do you have any easy to incorporate tips that can help prevent acne? I’d love to hear!